Activities & Programs
- Cardio and strength training
- Lap swimming
- Water basketball
- Intramural Sports
- Group Fitness
- Personal Training
- Small Group Training
- Swim Lessons
- Red Cross Certification
- ACE® Personal Training Exam Prep Course
The SERF offers four multipurpose gyms that are commonly used for pick-up games of basketball (Gyms 1, 2, & 4) and futsal (Gym 3). Additionally, Gym 4 hosts several Group Fitness classes.
Find a variety of traditional weight machines and free weights, stretching mats, stability balls, and BOSUs in the SERF weight room. Need a spot or introduction to the equipment? Our fitness consultants are here to help.
Fitness Training Room (FTR)
Head to the FTR for a different kind of fitness experience. Here you’ll find a slightly more intimate feel than our weight room, along with several types of cardio equipment and plenty of space for core work and stretching. Our line of Freemotion equipment allows for multiple functional strength movements on each machine.
Enjoy running along this 4-lane track while watching the action in Gyms 1 and 2. Complete your workout with stretching, punching bags, bikes, and core equipment located around the track. Approximately 10 laps/mile.
Group Fitness Studio
Home to our Group Fitness classes, this versatile studio offers all the equipment needed to host a high-energy Zumba class as well as a calming Powerflow class. When not being used for class, the studio is open for use by groups of three or less.
Group Cycling Studio
The SERF Group Cycling Studio is housed in a converted racquetball court with 28 bikes for a high-energy workout. Listen for the music to know if class is in session.
- Headed to a Group Cycling class? Don't forget to reserve your spot by picking up a bike ticket from the Member Services Office up to 30 minutes before class begins.
The SERF pool can be converted to short-course (25-yard) or long-course (50-meter) configuration depending on the UW Swimming and Diving season. In short-course configuration, the pool is divided into two 25-yard pools with eight lanes each. In long-course (typically during the summer season), the pool consists of eight 50-meter lanes. The pool depth ranges from 4 feet to 17 feet.
- A 6-lane, 60-foot shallow pool is also available for water basketball, lap swimming, water walking, swim instruction, and Group Fitness classes.
Keep your heart healthy in the cardio room where you’ll find a mix of treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, and rowing machines. The SERF is also home to our green fitness equipment, which transfers the energy you expend while exercising back into the power grid. Go green!
- Machines have a 30-minute limit (including warm-up and cool-down). Sign-up sheets are available at each machine.
Ten racquetball courts are available for recreational play. Courts 1 and 2 are wheelchair accessible. Don’t have a racquet? Don’t cause a racket. Free equipment rental is available from the Towel Room.
- Reserve a racquetball court up to three days in advance by calling (608) 262-8259 or by accessing the Towel Room through the locker rooms.